Tašmajdan, one of central parks in Belgrade, is located no more than 200 meters from the National Assembly. The name of the place "Tašmajdan" is of Turkish origin and it means "quarry", as it is believed that the Romans pulled out rocks from this place and used it, among other things, for building the Belgrade Fortress in the old days.
One of Belgrade's favorite places for having a picnic or small weekend excursion. if you are staying in the city for a longer period of time, be sure to visit it as it is close to the center (approx. 10 minutes by car if there is no too much traffic, or 30 minutes by public transport).
This park exists since 1836. Because it formed part of the Prince Miloš Residence at the time and was closed for the public, the people called it "Council's Park". After it was handed over to the Ministry of Finaces, it was renamed to "Financial Park". Since 2017 it is called "Gavrilo Princip Park", after Serbian hero who assassinated Austrian archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo, which was used as a motiv for outbreak of the Great War (WWI).
Belgrade Fortress is situated on the hill, overlooking the confluence of the river Sava into the Danube. It started as a Roman military camp in the early 1st century AD, growing into a simple fortification, and over the time into a true and powerful fortress. Until present day it remained within the boundaries of the old town and city's center.