You can reach it on foot from Terazije Square in about 5 minutes (400 meters). The National Assembly of Serbia is just around the corner. Also, behind St. Mark's church is located a small Russian-Orthodox church of the Holy Trinity, and further in the back are the headquarters of Radio Television of Serbia, national radio and tv broadcaster.
Today's monumental five-domed church was being built from 1931 to 1939, in Serbo-Byzantine style of architecture, designed after monastery Gračanica (built by Serbian king Milutin in 1321). It was projected that the inside of the church should be painted in fresco techique. But, because of the outbreak of the World War II, the works were halted. After the war, communist regime came to power and they were not interested in finishing this job.
The church itself is monumental, 60 meters high. Really impressive. One of mysteries that surround this church is certainly related to the following question - why is it dedicated to St. Mark? Yes, he is a great saint, one of the evangelists, but in Serbian-Orthodox tradition he is not oftenlly mentioned. For sure, there are numerous saints more revered and celebrated in Serbia. In addition, St. Mark is, some would also say, more of a Roman-Catholic kind of saint. Well, maybe, in these times the Serbian-Orthodox Church counted on some sort of reconciliation with the Western Church, and naming the church this way was the step in that direction. But, we don't know that for sure. Certainly, it is peculiar.
In 2017 the works were resumed and one portion of the ceiling (the apse) has already been painted in mosaique, depicting the Virgin Mary without Christ (he is represented in the medallion on her chest).
Inside St. Mark's church, you can see the tomb of Serbia's biggest Emperor, Tzar Dušan (1308-1355), made in marble.
In the crypt of the church, still not finished and functional, there are tombs of several Serbian orthodox bishops, as well as of King Alexander Obrenović and his wife Queen Draga, last rulers of the dynasty Obrenović, killed in the May Coup of 1903.
Find it on the map ↓