Belgrade, Republic of Serbia eob@eyesonbelgrade.com

Pioneers' Park

A view on the National Assembly of Serbia from Pioneers' park

Pioneers park, located in the very heart of the city, bounded by the Old Palace (now City Hall) and the New Palace (now Presidential Palace), and overlooking the National Assembly, is a truly unique place.

View on the Dome of the National Assembly of Serbia from Pioneers' Park

Between two world wars, it formed part of the royal complex, together with the royal garden. Back then, the two palaces were connected, not physically but urbanistically, by an arched shaped building, which made the whole complex looking like a real royal court with two large wings. But after the WWII and Tito's communists came to power, it changed it looks and it was named "Pioneers" after "Tito's Pioneers", organization of youngsters soon to become members of the communist party. The central building was removed in 1957, because, the word is, some high party official demanded so, as it stood in the way and prevented him from seeing the building of the National Assembly from his office in the Old Palace.

Panoramic view of Royal Garden

Royal Garden

Monument to Ivo Andrić, Serbian Nobel prize winner, is located at the outskirts of the park, next to the Presidential Palace. There is also writer's appartment, converted into museum.

Main entrance to the New Palace (now Presidential Palace)

At the entrance to the park, opposite to the Presidential Palace, there is a monument to the WWI Battle of Kajmakčalan, which at first may seem to you as an ordinary pile of rubble. On the contrary, it is a place of great importance for the Serbian people and their history.

Monument to the Battle of Kajmakčalan

Monument to the Battle of Kajmakčalan

This pile of stones is actually a watchtower from the famous WWI battle at Kajmakčalan. The battle took place in 1916, at the mountain of Kajmakčalan (eng. Kaymakchalan), which is located at the present day border between Greece and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. It was fought between Serb and Bulgarian forces, as a crucial push of the Serbian military through Salonica front towards regaining posseession over their homeland, at the time divided by Austria-Hungary and Bulgaria. Read more about this in Belgrade Tips article: Not an ordinary pile of rubble.

"Girl with a jug" fountain

"Girl with a Jug" fountain

It is a peaceful and quiet spot in the middle of an urban jungle. Monument to the most famous Serbian female painter Nadežda Petrović is located there, as well as the fountain called "Girld with a jug".

 

A view on the New Palace (now Presidential Palace)

New Palace (now Presidential Palace)

The New Palace was built as an additional wing to the Old Palace, immediately after World War I (1922). It was designed in the spirit of Academism with Renaissance and Baroque elements on the facade, to be the royal residence of Karadjordjević dynasty. The two palaces were conected with a beautiful concrete fence which was removed after World War II, and the royal gardens were converted into a park.

After the assasination of King Alexander of Yugoslavia in 1934, the palace was converted into a museum of Prince Paul, with an impressive art collection that prince passionately gathered over the years. After WWII, it served for various governmental purpeses. Now, it is the headquarters of the Serbian president, thus the new name - Presidential Palace.

Between two world wars, it formed part of the royal complex, together with the royal garden. Back then, the two palaces (the Old Palace and the New Palace) were connected, not physically but urbanistically, by an arched shaped building, which made the whole complex looking like a real royal court with two large wings. But after the WWII and Tito's communists came to power, it changed its l. The central building was removed in 1957, because, the word is, some high party official demanded so, as it stood in the way and prevented him from seeing the building of the National Assembly from his office in the Old Palace.

Arts & Culture

Places

  • Zeleni Venac

    Zeleni Venac is a small district in the center of the city, located on the principal way to...

  • Ušće Park complex

    Ušće park complex is a huge green space and promenade by the river on New Belgrade's side. It...

  • Topličin Venac

    Topličin Venac is a small street and district in the heart of the old town, close to Knez...

  • Topčider Park

    One of Belgrade's favorite places for having a picnic or small weekend excursion. if you are...

  • Terazije

    Terazije street (or square) is the ground zero, the central point of the city. Like Puerta del Sol in...

  • Svetogorska street

    Svetogorska street is one of the major central city streets. It goes for about 500 meters, from...

  • Students' square and park

    This is the oldest urban city square in Belgrade, with one of the most classical surroundings in...

  • Story of Zemun

    After seeing in Belgrade everything you've planned, you can complete your enjoyment visiting...

  • St. Sava's Church

    It was the year 1594. Serbian lands were under the Ottoman rule for quite some time. They burned...

  • St. Mark's Church & Tašmajdan Park

    St. Mark's Church is located in the center of Belgrade, in Tašmajdan park. It was built on the...

  • Slavija square and Vračar Plateau

    One of the main points of traffic in Belgrade is located at Slavija square roundabout. From this...

  • Skadarlija

    Skadarska street is the main promenade and center of Skadarlija bohemian district.

  • Savamala and Belgrade Waterfront

    Savamala historical district is located down by the river, and it represents one of the oldest...

  • Resavska street

    Resavska street is one of the most important streets in the center of Belgrade. It goes from the...

  • Republic square

    Formerly known as the "Theater square", after the magnificent building of the National Theater...

  • Politika tower and square

    This 17-story building is holding the offices of the "Politika" (eng. "Politics") daily newspaper.

  • Pioneers' Park

    Pioneers park, located in the very heart of the city, bounded by the Old Palace (now City Hall)...

  • Obilićev Venac

    Obilićev Venac street forms a continuous pedestrian zone in the center of the city with Knez...

  • Nikola Pašić square

    Nikola Pašić square is, together with Terazije square and Republic square, which are in immediate...

  • New Belgrade

    After the Second World War, in the 1950's, Belgrade started developing across river Sava, in the...

  • Nemanjina street

    Nemanjina street covers relatively short distance between Slavija square and the Old Main Railway...

  • Krunska street

    Krunska (Crown) street is located in the city center, Vračar district. It goes on for 1.5...

  • Kraljice Natalije street

    Kraljice Natalije (eng. "Queen Nathalie") street is one of the central city streets that connects...

  • Kralja Petra st.

    King Peter's street (ser. "Ulica Kralja Petra") is possibly the most beautiful street in Belgrade. It goes...

  • Kralja Milana st.

    Kralja Milana (eng. "King Milan street") is one of the central avenues in Belgrade. It goes on...

  • Kosančićev Venac

    Kosančićev Venac is a very beautiful district in historical part of Belgrade, beneath Belgrade...

  • Kneza Miloša street

    Kneza Miloša street is a large avenue that connects city center with the highway. It goes for...

  • Knez Mihailova st.

    Knez Mihailova street is a famous pedestrian zone in the very center of Belgrade. Throughout the...

  • Gospodar Jevremova st.

    Gospodar Jevremova street (eng. "Lord Jevrem's street") bears the name of Prince Miloš's father,...

  • Flower square

    Cvetni Trg (eng. "Flower Square") started as a small park in the late 19th century, which grew...

People holding banner Eyes on Belgrade