Belgrade, Republic of Serbia

Kosančićev Venac

A view on Kosančićev Venac

Kosančićev Venac is a very beautiful district in historical part of Belgrade, beneath Belgrade Fortress, overlooking river Sava.


Monument to Mihailo Petrović AlasRecognizable by cobblestone streets and charming vintage atmosphere, this is maybe the nicest neighborghood in the city. It was named after Serbian hero Ivan Kosančić who died during the Battle of Kosovo in 1389.

Very peaceful, it brings out memories of an old Belgrade, even though you don't remember it or you are here for the very first time.

One of the symbols of this district is a house, built in a manner of secession, that belonged to Serbia's famous and beloved character - Mihailo Petrović aka "Alas" (eng. "fisherman"), mathematician, inventor and professor at Belgrade Univeristy. His love for fishing was widely known, even though he didn't know how to swim so many times (someone counted 11) he was drowning down in the rivers Sava and Danube, barely escaping with his life. Very talented academic and insightful scientist, his monument is placed in front of the house, right across the street.

Historically, this is the part of town where Serbs lived throughout the centuries.

A view on Kosančićev Venac

It was a place with lots of taverns, and even nowadays that bohemian lookalike atmosphere remained in the air. You can enjoy a nice cup of coffee in an inspirational surroundings, looking down on the river, and chatting with your friends.

A view on Kosančićev Venac

In Kosančićev Venac you can find several art galleries, and this was also the place where one of the best Serbian movies was filmed - "Maratonci trče počasni krug" (eng. "The Marathon Family").

A view on Kosančićev Venac

Surrounded by a beautiful Krsmanović house (now Austrian Embassy), then the building of the Patriarchate, Cathedral Church of St. Michael, and Princess Ljubica Residence, this is a place of the utmost cultural importance and heritage.


Mihailo Petrović Alas house

Alas House

House of Serbian famous and beloved character, a mathematician Mihailo Petrović aka "Alas" (eng. "fisherman") is located in the bohemian district of Kosančićev Venac. It was built in 1910, in the architectural spirit of Secession.

Mika Alas House is protected as a monument of high cultural importance. In front of the house, across the cobblestone street, there is a monument to this great Serbian mathematician and inventor. He was very fond of fishing, but curiously, he never learned to swim so he was drowning 11 times in rivers Sava and Danube.


A view on Krsmanović House (now Austrian Embassy) and tower bell of the Cathedral Church St. Michael

Dimitrije Krsmanović Family House

This excitingly beautiful building errected in the style of Academism by Krsmanović family of merchants in 1899, in one of the prettiest neighborhoods in the city, as of 1955 belongs to the Embassy of Austria.

Dimitrije Krsmanović was well known merchant and benefactor in 19th century Belgrade. It is truly worthwile visiting this neighborhood as it is a place of big historical importance. It is located beneath Belgrade Fortress and borders with Savamala historical district where predominantly Serbian population lived throughout centuries. Krsmanović family house is errected on the entrance to Kosančićev Venac bohemian district, it is right beside the building of the Patriarchate and across the Cathedral Church of St. Michael. This building is one of the most important architectural pieces from 19th century Belgrade. Now, it houses the Austrian Embassy.


Cathedral Church St. Michael

Cathedral Church of St. Michael

The Cathedral Church of St. Michael, in Serbian called "Saborna Crkva", was built in 1845, and it is facing the building of the Patriarchate, in the vicinity of Belgrade Fortress and Knez Mihailova street, in the very center of the city.

It is the second oldest Serbian Orthodox church in the city (the oldest being the Church of the Holy Apostles of Peter and Paul in Topčider park). It was built in a neoclassical spirit with baroque bell tower.

In the church are buried Prince Miloš Obrenović, the leader of the Second Serbian Uprising against the Ottoman Turks and the founder of Obrenović royal dynasty, and his son Prince Mihailo, one of the key figures in Serbian history, assasinated in 1868 (Knez Mihailova street was named after him, and an equestrian monument errected at Republic square, in front of the National Museum).

In the church portico, there are the thombs of Vuk Karadžić, considered as the father of Serbian language, and Dositej Obradović, reformist, enlightneer and the first Minister of Education in Serbia.

The bell tower of the church is marking Belgrade's landscape and represents one of main landmarks of the Serbian capital.

The Cathedral Church of St. Michael is an absolute must see, because of its beauty, its historical importance, its cultural significance, but also because it is located in possibly the nicest part of the city, surrounded by Belgrade Fortress, impressive building of the Patriarchate, Princess Ljubica Residence museum and beautiful old fashioned King Peter's street.




The building of the Serbian Patriarchate, which is the supreme body of the Serbian-Orthodox Curch, is a monumental structure positioned in possibly the most beautiful part of Belgrade, facing the Cathedral Church of St. Michael, in Kosančićev Venac neighborhood, close to Belgrade Fortress, next to Princess Ljubica Residence musem, and at the beginning of King Peter's street.

A view on the Cathedral Church of St. Michael and the Patriarchate

The building was completed in 1935, in the Serbo-Byzantine architectural fashion. It is important to stress the position of the building of the Patriarchate, which is located across the street from the Cathedral Church of St. Michael (ser. "Saborna Crkva").


The Cathedral Church of St. Michael is the principal church of the Serbian Patriarchate, so this complex of two structures, positioned one against another, represents the heart of the Serbian-Orthodox spiritual guidance.


Konak Kneginje Ljubice / Princess Ljubica's Residence

Princess Ljubica's Residence

Konak Kneginje Ljubice (eng. "Princess Ljubica Residence") is a building of exceptional significance. Prince Miloš (ser. "Knez Miloš") built it for his family after proclamation of the Hatti-Sheriff in 1830, which granted Serbia's autonomy. It was designed in the fashion of Balkan profane architecture, which may be also called Oriental by some scholars. Princess Ljubica was Prince Miloš' wife, and after her the palace got its name.

Princess Ljubica Residence changed its purpose over the course of history, but nowadays it is a museum that gives you an insight to the interiors of 19th century houses in Belgrade.

Princess Ljubica's Residence, "the interiors of 19th-century homes in Belgrade"
Working hours: 10 am - 5 pm (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday), 10 am - 6 pm (Friday), 10 am - 2 pm (Sunday), closed on Monday
Ticket: 200 RSD (cca. 1.5 euros)
Detailed info: Visit the Official Web-Site



Arts & Culture


  • Zeleni Venac

    Zeleni Venac is a small district in the center of the city, located on the principal way to...

  • Ušće Park complex

    Ušće park complex is a huge green space and promenade by the river on New Belgrade's side. It...

  • Topličin Venac

    Topličin Venac is a small street and district in the heart of the old town, close to Knez...

  • Topčider Park

    One of Belgrade's favorite places for having a picnic or small weekend excursion. if you are...

  • Terazije

    Terazije street (or square) is the ground zero, the central point of the city. Like Puerta del Sol in...

  • Svetogorska street

    Svetogorska street is one of the major central city streets. It goes for about 500 meters, from...

  • Students' square and park

    This is the oldest urban city square in Belgrade, with one of the most classical surroundings in...

  • Story of Zemun

    After seeing in Belgrade everything you've planned, you can complete your enjoyment visiting...

  • St. Sava's Church

    It was the year 1594. Serbian lands were under the Ottoman rule for quite some time. They burned...

  • St. Mark's Church & Tašmajdan Park

    St. Mark's Church is located in the center of Belgrade, in Tašmajdan park. It was built on the...

  • Slavija square and Vračar Plateau

    One of the main points of traffic in Belgrade is located at Slavija square roundabout. From this...

  • Skadarlija

    Skadarska street is the main promenade and center of Skadarlija bohemian district.

  • Savamala and Belgrade Waterfront

    Savamala historical district is located down by the river, and it represents one of the oldest...

  • Resavska street

    Resavska street is one of the most important streets in the center of Belgrade. It goes from the...

  • Republic square

    Formerly known as the "Theater square", after the magnificent building of the National Theater...

  • Politika tower and square

    This 17-story building is holding the offices of the "Politika" (eng. "Politics") daily newspaper.

  • Pioneers' Park

    Pioneers park, located in the very heart of the city, bounded by the Old Palace (now City Hall)...

  • Obilićev Venac

    Obilićev Venac street forms a continuous pedestrian zone in the center of the city with Knez...

  • Nikola Pašić square

    Nikola Pašić square is, together with Terazije square and Republic square, which are in immediate...

  • New Belgrade

    After the Second World War, in the 1950's, Belgrade started developing across river Sava, in the...

  • Nemanjina street

    Nemanjina street covers relatively short distance between Slavija square and the Old Main Railway...

  • Krunska street

    Krunska (Crown) street is located in the city center, Vračar district. It goes on for 1.5...

  • Kraljice Natalije street

    Kraljice Natalije (eng. "Queen Nathalie") street is one of the central city streets that connects...

  • Kralja Petra st.

    King Peter's street (ser. "Ulica Kralja Petra") is possibly the most beautiful street in Belgrade. It goes...

  • Kralja Milana st.

    Kralja Milana (eng. "King Milan street") is one of the central avenues in Belgrade. It goes on...

  • Kosančićev Venac

    Kosančićev Venac is a very beautiful district in historical part of Belgrade, beneath Belgrade...

  • Kneza Miloša street

    Kneza Miloša street is a large avenue that connects city center with the highway. It goes for...

  • Knez Mihailova st.

    Knez Mihailova street is a famous pedestrian zone in the very center of Belgrade. Throughout the...

  • Gospodar Jevremova st.

    Gospodar Jevremova street (eng. "Lord Jevrem's street") bears the name of Prince Miloš's father,...

  • Flower square

    Cvetni Trg (eng. "Flower Square") started as a small park in the late 19th century, which grew...

People holding banner Eyes on Belgrade